Sunday, February 9, 2014

Weaning

I have officially started weaning Lucas. It's been on my mind for a couple months now, but I had no good reason to stop nursing. But now that we have a possible trip coming up in April where we will be gone overnight from the boys, I am motivated to start the weaning process! Lucas is 20 months old now, and although I'm sure he would continue to breastfeed for many more months, I feel okay about stopping now.
I started a week ago and so far it is going better than I expected! I was nursing him before his nap, before bedtime, and often once in the middle of the night. So I started by giving up the pre-naptime nursing. I distracted him by giving him his first ever cup of warm milk. He liked it and went right to sleep afterwards! No fuss at all.

Lucas also slept better last night and didn't nurse at all in the middle of the night. I also noticed the last two nights he has not nursed as long before bedtime. I'm a little sad that the weaning process seems to be going so quickly! I was expecting it to take at least a month, but perhaps Lucas is more ready to be done than I thought. I am hoping that this may lead to him sleeping better at night. I will give you all an update on his nighttime head-banging soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment