Monday, July 7, 2014

Muffin Mania

My boys have become really bad breakfast eaters. Ryan is especially picky in the morning and lacks a big appetite when he wakes up. This is bad, because I think he gets low blood sugar overnight and really needs to eat upon waking up. Most mornings he will eat a few cheerios and sips of water for breakfast.

However, both boys love eating muffins. Especially Lucas! That boy can pack away muffins like they are candy. So when I find healthy muffin recipes that I know Ryan and Lucas like, I go crazy and make a ton to keep in the freezer.
When I'm considering a muffin recipe to feed to my boys I look for a few things. First, I like to use mostly whole wheat flour. Second, little or no sugar. I look for muffins sweetened with honey and applesauce. Third, some sort of ingredient that boosts the nutritional value of the muffin.

Today I made Ryan's favorite Banana Wheat Germ Muffins. I use half whole wheat flour for these. They are sweetened with honey and banana, and they have the secret but powerful ingredient of wheat germ! Pretty healthy right? I do add chocolate chips in order to convince Ryan to eat them, but I have decided a few chocolate chips are harmless if they are being eaten with something like wheat germ. It's called Mom math.
Today I also made Lucas' favorite muffins: Whole Wheat Carrot Applesauce Muffins. Oh man, these are like eating dessert. And yet they are made from whole wheat flour, sweetened with applesauce and honey, and they contain a lot of grated carrot. I feel great about feeding these to him.
Lastly, I made muffins for myself! I don't usually eat muffins, but I had an abundance of fresh blueberries to use up. So I made these Lightened Up Lemon Blueberry Muffins. I forgot how much I love blueberry muffins! I used all whole wheat flour to make these and cut back on the amount of sugar in the recipe. Such an easy snack to grab for a busy pregnant Mom.
Knowing that my boys will eat healthy muffins, I go out of my way to avoid letting them eat the white flour, white sugar versions. Because I know once they get a taste of the sugary "dessert" muffins that are out there, they will turn up their little noses at my homemade healthy versions.

Now I just need to find a healthy homemade muffin that Adam will happily eat, and we'll be all set! For breakfast at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment