Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Mom Friends

Although there are many things I miss about living in my hometown, the transition to a new city has gone more smoothly than I expected. I feel settled and happy. However, there is one thing that I a really really miss (apart from my family). And those are my Mom friends.

It may sound a little cheesy to admit that I am feeling lonely and in need of some friends, but it is the truth. Since becoming a Mom I have learned that having other friends who are Moms is vital. I remember very clearly the day 4 years ago when I prayed to God to send me some good friends. I was a relatively new Mom and feeling lonely and in need of some social interaction, despite my introvert tendencies. I simply asked God to place women in my life who were walking the same path I was. I wanted friends who would understand my frustrations and delights of new Motherhood.

I almost didn't expect an answer, but God answered my prayer in a huge way. I joined a Mops group and soon had more amazing friends than I deserved. Friends who shared my values and who genuinely cared about me and my boys. They were friends who would bring me a meal when I had a baby, ask me for updates about my boys' latest sleep problems, and meet me at the park for a last minute playdate. They were exactly what I needed. And I hope that many of them will remain my friends for a very long time.

But the reality is that I need to make some new friends. Ones who are close enough to join me for a walk or invite over for lunch.

So I have joined a new Mops group. I have struck up conversations with Moms at the library, casually mentioning that I am new to the area. It has only been 6 weeks since we moved, but I am already feeling myself getting frustrated with the process of finding new friends. It kind of feels like I am a single woman dating and looking for a boyfriend or husband. I see another Mom and assess whether we are "compatible". Are our kids the same age? Do we have similar hobbies? (Wait, do I have hobbies?) Would I be coming across as too desperate if I wanted to set up a playdate after meeting another Mom for the first time? And on and on.

So the other day I prayed. I prayed the same prayer as  I did 4 years ago. God, please send good Mom friends into my life. Amen.

The next day I went for a walk and wound up meeting a Mom just around the corner. Her kids line up in age with mine, she stays at home, and she was so nice that she gave me her phone number on the spot. I walked away feeling like God had not only answered my prayer, but that he was giving me a little taste of the blessings he has in store for me. He wants me to have good friends and he wants to bless me abundantly.

So for now I need to just relax and know that this process of making new friends will take time. I'm trusting in God that he will bring the right women into my life at the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment