Monday, March 23, 2015

Kale Chips

I first made kale chips back when Ryan was a young toddler. Much to my surprise he loved them! Since then I have made kale chips countless times. And much to my surprise they are now Lucas' favorite vegetable. They also happen to be about the only vegetable Ryan and Lucas will eat, so I make them at least twice a week. If I had to choose one veggie for my boys to eat, I think kale is a great one!
 
Every time I mention kale chips, someone asks me for the recipe. I never followed a real recipe, so I've been testing out the temperatures and times in order to come up with a real recipe to share with you. Kale chips are basically just roasted kale. When you roast kale in the oven it becomes extremely crispy, almost like a potato chip, but lighter and crispier. Be warned that eating them can make a mess. (Especially if you've got a toddler at the table).
 
Here is my incredibly simple but delicious recipe for kale chips! Please let me know if you try them and what you think of them.
 
Kale Chips
1 bunch Kale
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
Salt
 
-Start with a large bunch of kale. Rinse well.
-Strip the kale from the thick inner stem. The easiest way to do this is to hold the stem with one hand and pull up on the leaves with your other hand. They should strip off easily. You want fairly large pieces; about two or three times the size of a bite size piece. (They will shrink)
 
-Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread out kale leaves. Drizzle with approximately 1 Tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Do not over-salt!
-Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The timing is very important here. Mine were perfect at 14 minutes. After 10 minutes you want to watch them very closely. A perfect kale chip is completely crispy but not brown or burnt. If burnt it will have a unpleasant bitter taste. 
 
Serve immediately and enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment