Friday, June 12, 2015

What We Ate For Dinner

So after complaining the other day about being bored with my cooking lately, I decided it would be fun to take pictures of what we ate for dinner this past week. Documenting what we ate each night also inspired me to try a couple new things in the kitchen. And the bonus is that the boys even tried a new food or two this week! Here's what we've been eating lately:

Thursday - Turkey and quinoa stuffed peppers, homemade bread (YUM), and cherries. Both boys tried cherries for the first time tonight! I left some plain ground turkey out of the peppers to serve to the boys.

Friday - Homemade pizza and salad. The pizzas were half cheese, half pepperoni and red bell peppers. You'll see a lot of red peppers in our meals this week because I bought a 6-pack from Costco.
 
Saturday: BBQ'd chicken thighs, rice pilaf, kale chips and BBQ'd veggies (squash, zucchini and bell pepper). We ate dinner on the back patio this night, until it started pouring rain on us!
Sunday: We were at my sister's house during the dinner hour and the boys just snacked on some random foods for dinner. Adam and I picked up some food late once the kids were asleep but I didn't take a picture. I did have a milkshake with my food!
 
Monday: Taco bowls! I tried a new method of cooking the tortillas in the oven in the shape of crispy little bowls. To go in the bowls I cooked ground meat seasoned with homemade taco seasoning (I make a big batch and keep it in the pantry), roasted corn (frozen section of Trader Joe's), cheese, tomatoes, pinto beans, salsa, lettuce, and guacamole. We also had watermelon. Ryan ate a quesadilla for the very first time this night!
Tuesday: Salmon baked and seasoned with Cajun seasoning, corn on the cob (for Adam and I), waffle fries (for the boys), and pan fried broccoli (AKA "kale broccoli"). Did you know you can cook corn on the cob in the microwave? Wrap in a damp paper towel and cook 5 minutes. So easy! Kale broccoli is something I make pretty often because Lucas likes it. I defrost frozen broccoli florets and pan fry them in a little olive oil until crispy and slightly charred. Tastes like a cross between kale chips and roasted broccoli.
Wednesday: Homemade baked chicken tenders, pasta with marinara (me) or parmesan cheese (Ryan), canned green beans, and strawberries. Ryan tried a green bean tonight for the first time! For the chicken I was feeling lazy since Adam was working really late in the bay area. Instead of pan frying it I just breaded and baked in the oven. It was a bit drier than fried chicken but both boys ate it.
Thursday: Pork stir fry with bell peppers, onions and carrots, served with white rice and kale chips. This was another night when Adam was working late and I was having a really difficult time with the boys. I had sliced up a pork tenderloin earlier in the day, so I threw it into a pan with the veggies. I had intended to add celery and broccoli to the stir fry but they were both bad and had to be thrown away. I mixed together some Asian ingredients (soy sauce, fish sauce, ginger, garlic) and then topped everything with fresh basil at the end. It turned out great! I wanted to make brown rice but like I said, things were stressful and I just needed to get dinner on the table fast.
 
So there you go, our dinners for the past week. I love getting new ideas....what have you been cooking lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment